Who is SOS?
SOS was founded to improve the resilience and overall integrity of global organic supply chains. The focus of SOS is to support the implementation of the Strengthening Organic Enforcement (SOE) Rule, the largest update to the U.S. organic regulations since it was implemented in 2002.About the Team
Who We Help
SOS serves the organic food and non-food sector and partners with organic mission-driven non-profit organizations. Our advising services are available on-line and in-person.
Our MISSION is to advise organic businesses in organic compliance to prevent organic fraud and ensure supply chain integrity.
Our GOAL is to assure authenticity of organic products, protect organic businesses from organic fraud, and maintain consumer confidence in the USDA organic seal.
Reasons to Hire SOS
Our essential offerings ensure compliance with the new SOE regulations by providing unparalleled insights into fraud vulnerabilities and step-by-step assistance with the development of organic fraud prevention plans.
We believe that interpersonal communication is the foundation of our work. Connecting with our clients, understanding their needs, and breaking down complex and technical ideas is a vital part of what makes our services worthwhile.
We are specialized. We are the only advising firm focused entirely on organic fraud prevention and investigations.
We offer organic fraud prevention products & services that are not currently offered by other consultants or organizations.
We are founded by the two leading experts in organic fraud prevention and supply chain verification/traceability.
Trainings & Education
We have extensive experience in providing trainings and education tailored to meet the needs of individual businesses.
We are trusted advisors in the Organic Trade Association’s Organic Fraud Prevention Solutions program.
Meet Our Team
Kim Dietz & Gwendolyn Wyard (Founding Partners) are expert advisors and specialists in global organic fraud prevention and supply chain integrity. Together they have over 65 years of experience in organic policy, certification, and leadership. They are passionate about organic and the benefits it brings to the planet, people, and business.
SOS Founding Partner
Gwendolyn has worked in organic certification and policy for over 28 years. Prior to SOS, Wyard served for more than a dozen years as the Vice President of Regulatory and Technical Affairs for the Organic Trade Association (OTA) where she worked on the development of policy strategy through regulatory engagement in the interest of OTA's mission and its members. While at the trade association, Wyard was the lead developer and author of the association’s Organic Fraud Prevention Guide, now the industry standard reference for excellence in achieving integrity across complex organic global supply chains. In her early career, Wyard was an organic farmer, an organic inspector, and served as Oregon Tilth’s Technical Specialist in organic policy and technical review of materials for use in organic products. She holds an advanced degree in Fermentation Science, served on the OMRI Board of Directors for 12 years and was the North American representative on the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) Advisory Board.
Gwendolyn is a leading expert in:
- Organic standards and certification systems and she authored the first and only GUIDE on developing an organic proud prevention plan which ultimately stood up a corresponding organic fraud prevention program. The GUIDE is THE industry standard reference for excellence in achieving integrity across complex organic global supply chains. Gwendolyn also together with the leading expert in food fraud prevention (Dr. John Spink) developed multiple trainings on how to develop an organic fraud prevention plan.
- Conducting vulnerability assessments & control plans specific to organic operations. Under SOE, the requirements for certified operations to develop an organic fraud prevention plan (and the parts contained therein) is based on the OFPS Guide & Program.
- Organic Certification generally, and specifically for retail operations. Other unique areas of expertise include organic textiles, supplements, pet food, and personal care.
- Food science and processing generally, and specifically for organic operations. Areas of focus include product research and development, organic ingredient sourcing, contamination prevention methods, fermented products, pest control and complex compliance issues related to minor ingredients allowed in organic products.
- Education and training to help organic businesses understand the basics about the organic requirements and communicate why their organic products are better for the planet, people and the economy (regenerative, climate-smart and sustainable).
Kim Dietz, MJ
SOS Founding Partner
Kim holds a master’s degree in global food law and throughout her career has specialized in organic standards and policy. She worked for 30 plus years with the J.M. Smucker Company and 3 years with Firmenich. She has directly overseen 13 organic handling operations, including the management of the successful certification of the first certified organic handling facility in the United States. Early in her career she spearheaded the development of the first organic flavor. Dietz has tirelessly advocated for the organic sector, and has led numerous task forces, committees, and coalitions, including serving as president of the Organic Trade Association Board for 7 years, member of the National Organic Standards Board, founding member of the Organic Materials Review Institute and member of the California Organic Food Advisory Committee.
Kim is a leading expert in:
- Global Food Law - In 2019 Kim obtained her Masters of Jurisprudence (MJ) in Global Food Law from Michigan State University College of Law. She also holds a certificate in International Food Laws from the Institute for Food Laws, Michigan State University.
- Handling - Organic Certification Program Management. Kim had direct oversight of 13 handling operations and was the key contact in hundreds of organic audits. Fun fact; under Kim’s leadership, she managed the successful certification of the very 1st certified handling facility in the United States.
- Organic Leadership and Policy. Throughout her career, Kim has been an organic leader specializing in organic standards and policy. She has led numerous task forces, committees, and coalitions. Her expertise is organic food fraud, investigations, grower groups, non-organic allowed materials/ingredients, handling processing.
- Served on the Organic Trade Association Board of Directors (OTA) – 7 years as board president
- Served on the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) as a handler representative, Chair of Materials Committee, Board Secretary
- Founding member of the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI)
Served on the California Organic Food Advisory Committee (COPAC) as handler representative
- She is a Certified Process Consultant/Facilitator, Kepner Tregoe, problem solving and decision making. An expert facilitator and educator.
- Business Management. Kim has extensive expertise in Human Resource Management, Quality Assurance, Business Development, Government Relations, State and Federal Affairs, Sourcing and Procurement.
Not sure where
to get started?
At SOS, we believe the best place to start is with a conversation. Get in touch with us today so we can understand your needs and provide you with the most effective and practical path forward.Get In Touch